Establishing Village Green Turf
Story Title: Establishing Village Green Turf
Date: May 1st 2010
Presenter: Neville Passmore
Village Green is an ideal lawn for the active family. Neville shows how easy it is to establish.
- When choosing a lawn for your garden, it is important to get the right variety; the one that suits your climate, soil type, family needs and your lifestyle. Village Green is a very versatile grass- it will grow in full sun to partial shade, frost prone areas and all soil types.
- After selecting the variety, you need to put organic matter into the soil no matter whether its sand or clay, to create a bed for the grass that will encourage microbe activity, effective water movement and get the roots into top gear.
- Village Green has a deep and extensive root system which enables it to extract water and nutrients very efficiently.
- Village Green has specialized below ground stems called rhizomes that act as a food store. This means that Village Green requires less fertiliser and has the capacity to recover from damage and wear. This results in a lawn that stays green for longer under water restrictions or drought.
- Village Green continues to grow during the winter months which mean it maintains its colour, recovers from wear and keeps weeds out.
- The benefit of establishing a lawn in the cool of winter is that you need a lot less water to get your grass started than say a buffalo or couch which need to be planted when its warm because when it turns cold they go to sleep.
- Village Green rolls are light, hold together well and are easy to lay.
- In summer, actively growing Village Green can lower the surface temperature by up to 20 degrees when compared to bare soil or artificial grass.
- For more information visit www.villagegreenturf.com.au
Village Green Suppliers
Greenacres Turf Farm
Lot 503 Henderson Rd, Serpentine, WA, 6125
p: 1300 733 080
f: (08) 9525 2469
Bullsbrook Turf Supplies
ANCO Seed & Turf
Lilydale Instant Lawn