Healthy School Gardens Project
Date: 18th April (19th in WA)
Story: Healthy School Gardens Project
Presenter: Neville Passmore
Neville checks out Kenwick?s Primary School Fruit and Veggie Project to see how the children are growing their very own produce to encourage healthy eating.
Featured Place: Kenwick Primary School, Western Australia.
- The Maddington Kenwick Fruit and Veggie Project (MKFVP) is a collaborative project coordinated by the South Metropolitan Health Unit and the Healthy Schools Project through the Department of Health.
- It aims to increase fruit and vegetable consumption among primary school children and parents in the Maddington Kenwick area of WA.
- The long-term goal of the project is to reduce heart disease and obesity in the community, by utilising primary schools as a key setting for health promotion to foster healthy eating habits.
- The project uses a whole-of-school approach in implementing a range of evidence-based school and community strategies promoting fruit and vegetable consumption.
- It uses a health promoting school approach to address the many factors that affect the health decisions of the students, staff and families. It aims to create a school environment that enhances the health and wellbeing of the whole school community.
- Schools involved- Orange Grove Primary School (PS), Maddington PS, East Maddington PS, East Kenwick PS, Yule Brook College and Kenwick School.
Plants in the garden ignite the senses:
- Curry Leaf Plant, Helichrysum italicum.
- Lemon scented Verbena, Aloysia triphylla.
- Lambs ear, Stachys byzantina.
- Capsicum, Capsicum frutescens.
- Sweet Potato or Kumara, Ipomea batatas.
Featured Product: Waterlog
- Easi Eco Pty Ltd donated 100 of ?Waterlogs? to the Kenwick Primary School Garden.
- Inserted whilst planting or during maintenance, waterlog interacts with the soil to gradually release water to the roots of the plant
- Each ?Waterlog? tube saves the hundreds of litres of pure drinking water.
- A key benefit is that it ensures the water goes directly to the plant?s roots without any run-off or evaporation, even in dry areas. It?s the optimal way of providing water to plants in drought conditions.
- The product is 97% pure water. The rest is a patented molecular technology which converts the liquid to a solid, allowing it to remain unaffected by sunlight and temperatures within the range of -6?C to 100?C.
- Waterlog lasts up to 3 months in normal ground conditions.
- Waterlog is NON-Toxic, it will not harm children, pets, wildlife or insects.
- Waterlog is packaged in a 100% BIO-DEGRADABLE skin wrap
Easi Eco Pty Ltd