Story Title: Winter Vegetables
Date: April 24th 2010
Presenter: Matt Leacy
Matt Leacy shows apartment dwellers how to grow a winter veggie patch and catch more sun on their balcony. You won't even need to dig!
- How to create a dig-free balcony garden:
- All you need is newspaper, straw, Lucerne, manure and a large pot.
- Firstly, make sure you have a spot in full sun, then lay down about eight sheets of newspaper, wet it down and sprinkle in some manure.
- Lay down a 100mm thick layer of lucerne (this should bring in those much needed worms), next is a layer of organics or manure (Matt recommends using chicken manure for its high nitrogen content) and then top it up with about 200mm of straw (also high in nitrogen).
- Remember to soak each level along the way.
- Finally create some little pockets of compost where you want your plants to go.
- Plant all your herbs in and enjoy fresh herbs and vegetables all year round.
Thanks to Pots Direct for supplying the bowl.
Topez Pot Warehouse
Display Centre and Corporate Showroom
16 Mornington - Tyabb Rd Tyabb Vic 3913
5 / 308 Kororoit Creeek Rd
WIlliamstown Vic 3016
Thanks to Scotts Tubes, the Renaissance Grower of NSW, for supplying the Renaissance Herbs.
Scotts Tubes Pty Ltd
2991 Wisemans Ferry Rd
Mangrove Mountain NSW 2250
"Growers of Upstart Tubestock, Patio Sensations, Renaissance Herbs & Romantic Plants"
Ph: 02 4374 1253
Fax: 02 4374 1046