Spring Flowering Highlights
Story Title: Spring Flowering Highlights
Broadcast Date: 07th & 14th September 2013
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Trevor visits one of his favorite open gardens near his home to show off some spectacular spring flowering plants. Open gardens are a great learning experience for the whole family, giving you an insight into what grows well in your area plus allowing you the ability to pick up some top tips from keen home gardeners.
- Trevor's plant highlights range from the Camellia's to the underestimated climbers. The Camellia has a few different varieties to choose from, the Japonica Camellia, Sasanquas Camellia's and the Riticulatas Camellias will all provide you with gorgeous spring flowering
- The Japonican will flower from October to November whilst the Sasanquas Camellia's are early season, with some varieties blooming in late February to early March
- With careful selection, a variety of Camellia's can provide you with flowering for up to 9 months of the year.
- They do best when protected from the sun and wind, and using a slightly acidic soil a pH of around 6 - 6.5 you will get sensational results
- Deciduous Magnolias are spectacular and produce flowers from the first growth out of winter. These plants thrive in similar conditions to Camellias so the two varieties will be able to thrive in the same garden
- The Star Magnolias are truly stars in their own right! Variations include different shapes to shades in colour. The display these flowers put on even before leaves appear are truly beautiful: just remember to keep them moist during summer months
- Spring is the best time for climber plants to shine. The White Potato climber and Jasminum Polyanthum provide beautiful flowers and stunning perfume
- To find an open garden in your local area click here