Story Title: Grampian Grove
Broadcast Date: 13/4/14
Anybody who has ever ventured into Victoria’s Grampians will tell you this stunning country. The Grampian Mountains have been popular destination for holiday makers and nature-lovers to savour the many walking tracks, wildlife, and lookouts. The region is also one of Australia’s oldest farming and grazing districts, and Kim checks out a pretty unusual crop.
- Caron & Peter Fraser set up their specialist nut farm, Grampian Grove, in Moyston 15 km outside of Ararat, over 10 years ago.
- It’s not very common to see hazelnuts being grown commercially in Australia
- The farm produces Smoked Almonds, Raw Almonds, Honey Sesame Almonds, Roasted Hazelnuts
- Hazelnuts are an attractive and relatively easy tree to grow.
- If you are in the cooler southern parts of Australia and have the space and room for a pollinator then have a go.
- While you’re waiting for that tree to mature, you can jump on the Farmhouse Direct website and order a pack of Grampian Grove Hazelnuts and Almonds to try. They are absolutely delicious and good for you too!