New Native Grass
Date: April 25th (26th in WA)
Story: New Native Grass
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Trevor reveals a new plant from Ozbreed, which is the first variegated Australian native grass available for home gardens.
Featured Plant: Pennstripe: Pennisetum alopecuroides ?PAV300?
- A showy, compact clumping perennial grass with narrow arching leaves and spectacular feathery flower plumes from summer to autumn. These foxtail looking plumes are a great reason to grow this plant, but couple this with its main feature, and Pennstripe becomes a must for anyone?s garden
- The main feature of this variety is its stand out variegated foliage and compact form. Pennstripe grows to approximately 45cm x 45cm, which is 3/5 the size of the common form. Its wonderful variegated foliage presents great contrast for other green, blue or red foliaged plants.
- Pennstripe is the first variegated Australian native grass.
- An environmentally friendly Australian native excellent for attracting native birds.
- Can be used for mass plantings, accent plant for rockeries and borders and low maintenance gardens. Plumes are suitable for dried arrangements. Gives a nice? colour contrast against other plants.
- Tolerates a wide range of soils and climatic conditions, including poorly drained soils. Grows in full sun or part shade. Frost and drought tolerant, and humidity tolerant.
- Suitable for almost anywhere in Australia, including Northern Queensland, Perth and Tasmania.
- Trim to 1/3 the size preferably in April/May or when required. Fertilise with a slow release native fertilizer in late winter. Mulch well.
- Available to the public only through Bunnings.
- Ozbreed is a well known environmental turf and landscape gardening plants breeder, specialising in native grasses, grass-like ornamental landscape gardening plants, and tough drought tolerant turf varieties.