Ellerslie Flower Show Part C
Story Title: Ellerslie Flower Show Part C
Broadcast Date: 17th March 2012
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Discover other delights at The Ellerslie Flower Show, in particular the student gardeners who are taking the garden world by storm with their innovative and creative ideas.
Trevor’s Top Finds
- With the show being cancelled last year 2012 saw twice as many entrants as in previous years.
- The Emerging Designs category is the only category where designers work to a brief. This year the student competitors had two briefs to work with, in order for last year’s entrants to be able to complete their hard work.
- The 2011 brief was based on a garden for the young DINKY couple (double income, no kids). The garden needed to be a ‘pocket of tranquility’ where the couple could relax, entertain and not spend too much leisure time on garden maintenance.
- The 2012 brief required the garden to be aimed at a middle-aged couple wanting to ‘grow their own’ and have a sustainable garden full of delicious food.
- ‘Garden of Eatin’ by Fleur Mar from Wellington is a sustainable garden providing sustenance for the body and mind. The garden not only promotes healthy eating, it also contains a bathtub for relaxation that functions as the irrigation system too!
- ‘Gone to Seed’ by Rachel Matthews employs an incredibly clever way to compost in limited space, keeping the compost under the decking with trapdoor access.