Ellerslie Flower Show Part B
Story Title: Ellerslie Flower Show Part B
Broadcast Date: 17th March 2012
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Trevor talks with Christchurch patriots to find out the effect that the earthquake has had on the city and on the Ellerslie Flower show.
Facts about Christchurch and the Ellerslie Flower Show
- Nine days before the 2011 Ellerslie Flower Show, a 6.3 magnitude earthquake decimated Christchurch. 185 people were killed and the second largest city in New Zealand was severely damaged.
- The marquees of the show went from being displays of creativity and talent to emergency first aid tents for the hundreds of injured citizens of Christchurch.
- Christchurch is known as New Zealand’s Garden City.
- The Ellerslie Flower Show happens every year and they are always happy to take on volunteers to help with the running of the show.
- Tim Hunter the CEO for Christchurch – Canterbury Tourism assures us that there is more than enough accommodation available in Christchurch to cater for tourists
- The ‘pop up shops’ that have been created out of sea containers are a must see and a perfect example of the resilience shown by the people of Christchurch to keep on growing.